Slice 3 AND 4: Rulebreakers
This great idea of #rulebreakers4kids has caught on at Twitter.
"Said AR is stupid. People heard me.
Said grammar worksheets are stupid. People heard me.
Said tests and grades are stupid. People heard me."
These are my favorite lines. We say stuff like all the time but it only counts if people hear you!
It's Day 4 of the Slice of Life Challenge, and I've already broken the rules. As I confessed my sins earlier in a tweet to @TonyKeefer about not posting yesterday, this is the response I got: “You are quite the rebel. @ruth_ayers should throw you out ☺"
Thankfully Ruth hasn’t thrown me out yet, and Tony is now trying to save face with tweets like #rulebreakers are my favorites…..
This got me thinking….I propose that #rulebreakers4kids be a new hashtag, and when we “break a rule” for the good of the children in our classrooms, we send it out to everyone. It’s important that our voices are heard…and most importantly that our students’ voices and learning opportunities and passions and intrinsic motivation and curiosity don’t get squelched because of mandates or tests or rules or rule-makers who have never darkened the door of our classrooms.
If I had to tweet under the #rulerbreakers4kids hashtag, what could I have tweeted from our classroom over the years?
Hmmmm….. the tweets might go something like this…..
• Hid workbooks district paid thousands 4 behind new “facing out” bookshelves
• Moved teacher’s desk 2 storage 2day, put books n writing supplies n its place
• Turned in a blank textbook inventory sheet. not. using. them.
• Q: Test prep or writing and conferring? A: writing and conferring
• Told kids I hate homework as much as them n will fight 4 less!
• Let class shred homework reading logs 2 day. Reading. More impt than recording.
• Said AR is stupid. People heard me.
• Said grammar worksheets are stupid. People heard me.
• Said tests and grades are stupid. People heard me.
• I care about children more than data. Hope the newspaper prints that.
• Merit pay 4 high scores? Fire me. I refuse 2 extinguish the fire n my students.
• Writing persuasive essay ab banning homework
2 model how 2 write persuasive essay.
• Spent $300 @ Office Depot. Needed sharpie markers watercolors n photo paper 4 publishing. Will eat ramen noodles this month.
• Writing prompts r crap. Despite what u’ve heard ab crap as fertilizer, it doesn’t grow writers.
And I could go on and on and on. . . .I'm a rulebreaker4kids. They deserve to have teachers stand up for them and do what’s right even if it's not popular. . . .and even if we have to break a few rules in the process.
to the possibilities for rule-breaking for kids tomorrow,
Ann Marie Corgill
INDEX OF YAHOO, GOOD NEWS!